Linux issues on BP6 could use some help

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Snowmirage

Linux issues on BP6 could use some help

Post by Snowmirage »

You'll have to forgive me as I am just starting to get into linux. Trying to setup my first linux box using my BP6 (at least my first that will acctually have a funciton..)

Im using Debian, as best I can tell im having a problem caused by the onboard HPT368 controller on the BP6

I have one 8GB IDE drive on the primary IDE controller (NOT the HPT368) and one CD rom slaved off of that.

I install Debian everything is fine, it does a soft restart (i assume) as soon as the install is done and I am able to go about my buisness and use the OS (im configuring it with out a GUI)

But after I power down the PC and boot it back up, it seem to not find that partition... or at least its looking for the OS in the wrong place.

My grub loader lists it as loading from hda1 as best as i can tell. Which as i said works fine the first time after the install. But after reboot, i get someething to the effect of..

Waiting for root filesystem (or was it partition?)....

WARING!: /dev/hda1 doesnt exist!

then it drops me to a shell

After a week of searching around and watching the start up fly by faster than I could read I thought I saw something referencing that Maxtor 8GB drive and hde

So i edited the grub loader on boot up and changed the hda1 to hde1

and it booted!

Then I installed my SATA PCI raid card, and it stopped working

changed it back to hda1 and it worked!.. so I thought.. now it seems to be random.. Sometimes it will boot if i tell it to use hda1 in that grub loader and sometimes hde1 will work..

I think I am seeing it list the HPT368 controller when its loading sometimes... could it be that sometimes its detecting the primary IDE controller first (there fore assigning that drive to hda1) then others its picking up the HPT368 first? (pushing my OS drive to hde1) ?

If so is there a way I can disable it all together so linux cant even see the dam thing?

I recall long ago updating the BIOS on this board with a version that specifically didnt have support for the HPT368, if I go into the bios its not listed, i never see it on boot (other than in linux sometimes) and there is no way to disable it in bios.

Any help anyone might be able to lend would be greatly appreciated, I've pulled 2 all nighters so far and a few more with only a few hours of sleep trying to figure this out.

Thank you
-Brandon
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

hde, sounds like you are on the wrong ide socket
check you are on IDE1, not IDE3
or, easier, the drive should show in the normal bios setup screen
whereas the hpt366 you wouldn't see them
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

You can flash the bios to one that doesn't hit the HPT366. I did that on one of my boards(when I still had one) and it worked ok. Some software still found it though.

BTW, Have you tested the Maxtor8gig on something esle to verify its ok. And why not move the CD to IDE2?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Snowmirage

Post by Snowmirage »

I reflashed the bios to the latest that supported the onboard raid contorller.

It would seem that my issue is with now with my SATA raid controller that I need to use.

Now I have the PC up and running with out any issues with the current config...

HPT366 - NOT USED but the PC see's it

Onboard IDE controller
1 DVD drive
1 8GB Maxtor drive (Slackware insatlled here)

PCI IDE Raid card
4 40GB WD IDE drives setup with a linux software raid.

That all works fine...

Now if I put in my SATA PCI raid card, It hangs everytime at verifying DMI pool data....

Just freezes there...

Anyone know of a SATA raid card that will work with the BP6 and linux, unless im just having some strange resource conflict, but would be hard for me to trouble shoot that...

I do have a PCI video card and a PCI Gigabit Network card... maybe I can try an AGP card. Who knows..

Any ideas?

P.S. Yes I have tested the HD's they are all fine, also tested the ram everything passed.
Snowmirage

Post by Snowmirage »

I reflashed the bios to the latest that supported the onboard raid contorller.

It would seem that my issue is with now with my SATA raid controller that I need to use.

Now I have the PC up and running with out any issues with the current config...

HPT366 - NOT USED but the PC see's it

Onboard IDE controller
1 DVD drive
1 8GB Maxtor drive (Slackware insatlled here)

PCI IDE Raid card
4 40GB WD IDE drives setup with a linux software raid.

That all works fine...

Now if I put in my SATA PCI raid card, It hangs everytime at verifying DMI pool data....

Just freezes there...

Anyone know of a SATA raid card that will work with the BP6 and linux, unless im just having some strange resource conflict, but would be hard for me to trouble shoot that...

I do have a PCI video card and a PCI Gigabit Network card... maybe I can try an AGP card. Who knows..

Any ideas?

P.S. Yes I have tested the HD's they are all fine, also tested the ram everything passed.