There is a need for a Bios area in the forums

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Freak

There is a need for a Bios area in the forums

Post by Freak »

I have a troubles with my Bios and there is no area in these forums to rely these problems for help. If not a bios area an area for general problems.

I just edited a bios release to my needs and I we faced with a Bios checksum error and loaded into Bootloader and then loaded my boot disk. I thought that it would be a simple reflashing of my Bios to the original working one that I was using. It didn't work. The first half of the first line came up write fail, but the rest flashed fine. I tried different releases RU,NJ,LP and the LP release seemed to flash further then the others, but still didn't solve my problem. The first quarter write fail. So I decided to tried some of the moded ones on your site. That was the last straw for my computer and flat-lined at around 7:34p.m last night. It doesn't POST any more. Power, but no start-up, not even the graphic-card bios screen.

:( Has anyone have any idea on what to do, or where I can get my hands on a new Bios chip? :(
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Have you used the Clear CMOS jumper to see if that gets you back to POSTing something?
Were you usinf the ABIT version of AWDFlash.exe to burn the ROM?
Was ALL CACHING of ROMS disabled in the CMOS settings?
If yes to all, you will need to get a new chip from ABIT or someone with a chip burner to make you a new EEPROM.
Last edited by RRLedford on Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Whoa... You're right, I forgot :oops:

Tomorrow it'll be up.

Sorry!
Freak

Post by Freak »

I have tried the Cmos clear feature on my mobo, but still without any change.

Yes I was using the ABIT version of AWDFlash.exe. v8.22A

I think from memory there was only one thing that was cached. I don't remember what thou.

It seems that I'm stuck with a clear yet costly conclusion to my problem. How much is a new Chip?

I have contacted ABIT but haven't go a reply back yet. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for your help.
Freak

Post by Freak »

I just received the E-mail that has made my day :D :

Do you think that you could provide us with your shipping address so that we can send a BP6 bios chip to you?
Thanks
Donna

Short and sweet. I think that my computer will be back to full operation in around 7 days. I love ABIT, Thank Donna!!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

It took them a while, eh?
Freak

Post by Freak »

The thing is that I'm currently doing V.C.E at High School and I need to study. Due to the fact that I'm a bit of a computer freak, the bios chip failing when it did was a god send. There was no why in hell I was able to fix it myself and no local shop that stock this chip, therefore I had no choice but to study. In turn I don't push to get it replaced that quickly as well till I finished my last exam.

In a space of two days I recieved a reply from ABIT saying that they will replace it for FREE!!!!!! :D . That night I replied to that e-mail with my shipping address and I'm still waiting by the letter-box. This was around one week ago. I was thinking that since it's free, it will be sent standard post meaning around a weeks wait.

I'll post you when I get it and if it works.

Cya
Freak

Post by Freak »

:D :D :D My new working BIOS CHIP is in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Just as I was typing my last post, I saw the post-man go by and stuffed something into my letter-box. To my surpise :shock: a letter for me from the USA and then I knew it had arrived. The savour of my beloved machine.

I ran up-stairs into my room, checked to see which my it needs to go in, pulled out the old and put in the new, then turned my computer on. Success. It's live, LIVE!!!!!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Whahoo!! :wink: