KDE 3.0.2 Rocks

OS / Drivers / BIOS
PDR60

KDE 3.0.2 Rocks

Post by PDR60 »

I just updated from 2.2.2 to 3.0.2. Look is awesome. Seems to be a little faster and more stable. I sure like the way Winex runs under it. Load times are much faster. Since switching to Linux for my dektop I haven't booted into windows in about 2 months. The more I use it .... the more I really can appriiciate the power of this os. I have set up many Bind servers (working for isp's) but I have never taken the time to look at Linux as a feasible desktop. All I can say is AWESOME. My SMP system has never run this fast under Win 2K. As I sit here I am ripping one cd and listening to xmms. It never misses a beat. I really like Mozilla 1.0 also. Next I have to conquer Apache so I can get the BP6 off of win 2k (iis5) and start Using Apache. By the way samba is awesome also.

One thing about KDE3. It loads into Opt, but I don't think that is a big deal.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Linux Email Program

Post by hyperspace »

Check out Squirrel Mail. Has a really nice WEB-based interface.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

How did you go about updating KDE PDR60?

I've currently got KDE 2.2.2 as supplied with Mandrake 8.2

I run KDE as my standard desktop and I am installing KDE 3.0.3 from source. The way I'm going about it is to just download all the packages into my home directory and install them from there. Is this the right way to go about it? Will they automatically install themselves in the correct directory. After I've compiled & installed everything how do I make the new version of KDE available to log into?

Cheers
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

hey Tomatoeboy go to MDK and get 9.0 it was releaded 9-25 and it is wonderfull. I comes with a whole lot of great stuff. Openoffice is right there and is Mozilla 1.1 and KDE 3.03.
I have been running it since it came out and it is great!!!!
tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

No worries PDR60, I decided to give the whole compilation route a go and as part of the process have already installed OpenOffice & Mozilla and the majority of KDE 3.0.3 from source. There weren't any problems logging in as it just overwrote the existing version of KDE. Now if I were an utter control freak I probably wouldn't be too happy with that but its not broken anything yet.

Compiling from source has meant I've had to make sure that I have the up-to-date versions of various libraries which can only be good, apart from the fact that some parts of KDE seem to be based on libraries or programs which have been superceeded & are now defunct which is a little strange!

All in all, I'm enjoying spending a little more time in Linux every day :)