lindows and smp

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

Please have a look at this.
It seems Lindows doesn't support SMP at the moment (nor is it clear if it'll be in the future...).

Bye.
Homer S.
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

As for other Linux distributions, I use Red Hat, and it works fine in SMP mode (you just need to re-compile your kernel, but most recent RH versions set up SMP kernel already at installation time :wink:).
SMP mode is quite performing on BP6, even more than in Windows (at least that's what I experienced in the past).
Bear in mind SMP and APM are declared not to be compatible, so you won't be able to have a software shutdown when you set SMP (it's not annoying to me, I don't know if it would be to you).

Since SMP is a kernel feature, you shouldn't have any trouble even if you prefer Mandrake, or Debian or SuSE, and so on. Even in worst cases, it should be only a matter of configuring and compiling.

As for games and SMP, I'm afraid I can't help you: I'm quite not very used to playing PC games, neither in Linux nor in Windows :cry:...

P.S.: BTW, Lindows sucks for many reasons, IMHO.
Homer S.
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

First, Lindows started claiming it would be the first real Windows/Linux hybrid; now we know they've quite abandoned Windows compatibility (they just couldn't make it work).
Even in best cases, Lindows Win-compatibility is not better than "Linux+Wine" one.

Second, Lindows 3.0 is being charged $ 129: isn't it quite an expensive price for a Linux-based system (and nothing more than that)? Remember you can get a full Linux distro for $ 0 (just download it!).
You can get it from a pirated copy, of course. But why should pirating Lindows be better than pirating Windows?

Third, Lindows bases on Open Source software (like most Linux distributions do): why should people pay for it as the only way for getting it? Why don't they allow free source code downloads? Isn't this a violation of GPL conditions?

I don't know if you read anything about Lindows policy, but I saw many articles criticizing Robertson's business strategy, which in fact uses Linux for its own purposes. He doesn't seem to be really interested in Open Source matters, but only in making money from it without respecting its features.

Eventually: kernel compiling is not so difficult as it could look like; you only need to read some docs (there are lots over the Internet and in Linux distros, too) and make some test. Just have yourself helped by some more expert friend on first times.

Bye.
Homer S.