BP6 freezes running Win2K

OS / Drivers / BIOS
BCN

Post by BCN »

first, do not use HPT666, cause it will crash your HDDs (see other post).

then there is an issue with random mouse/keyboard lockups, though the pc would still be working, but not responsive to anything.

then it could be the problemwith the voltage supply to your mobo components: mosfets, capasitors and the like...

good luck! :P
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
BCN

Post by BCN »

rwwood wrote:Thanks for your response. Three questions, though:

How do I know if I'm using HPT666?

Is there a solution for the mouse/keyboard lockup issue?

I'm assuming the voltage supply problem you're referring to is because of the non-functioning fans. If so, how do I remedy that, or can I?

Also, why is this a problem only on this board and not on the other two?

Thanks.
RWW
About HPT... You told yourself something about the HPT drivers - so it means you are using it, otherwise you would not even mention it, cause everyone should know it is EVIL :twisted:

for mouse/keyboard issue? someone suggested putting IRQ 11 in BIOS to ISA, but it did not solve it for me. I think the easiest way for that is to get USB keyboard and mouse or USB->PS2 adapter from www.directron.com (if you live in US, cause they do not respond to international quieries...)

If the fans are spinning, so everything is OK - you do not need to worry if it does not show in MBM, cause it does not matter.

Referring voltage supply... I would suggest changing mobo capacitors to the ones which are LOW ESR, and some of them will have to have higher capacitance value, then changing the voltage regulators for Vcore, Vmem and Vio - all these mods I think you should find on www.bp6.com (Right, Derek?). If not, just drop me a line and an email with like 5mb free space and I will drop you the guides on modding. I already see the time coming for my mobo! :)

the problem that you get on this particular mobo can be the different revision, lower quality capacitors and mosfets (voltage regulators), different power supply unit with lower power output (like generic 235W :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system