Replacing Hard Disk Board how and when ??

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
hany321

Replacing Hard Disk Board how and when ??

Post by hany321 »

hi all
in some cases you need to replace your hard disk mother board
when to replace this board and how ???
please reply
hyperspace
Board Admin

Re: Replacing Hard Disk Board how and when ??

Post by hyperspace »

hany321 wrote: ...hard disk mother board...
Are you talking about the printed circuit board mounted on a hard drive?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hany321

yes this is what i mean ?

Post by hany321 »

Yes
i mean the board mounted on the hard drive
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

May want to search the WEB for something like this. I don't recall anyone doing this type of repair but someone may have done this.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
purrkur
Linux Guru

Re: yes this is what i mean ?

Post by purrkur »

hany321 wrote:Yes
i mean the board mounted on the hard drive
Nobody does this except the manufacturer under warranty. The boards are not available for purchase on the market.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

purrkur, hyperspace,
Frankly Im shocked and appalled ya'all gave such responses.

hany321,
In the old days(im talking late 80s, early 90s) sometimes a drive would boot a cold system but fail when it warmed up. Usually it was a failure in the circuit board on the drive. It was often easy to get a hold of a 2nd drive of the same model that would NOT boot a system(meaning a mechanical failure internally) and try swapping boards. Im talking about the days of MFM and RLL encoded 20-40meg drives. I have never tried to "fix" an IDE drive. Its usually easier to just get another drive.

I am against buying a new circuit board to repair a drive out of warrantee. If it has data that is actually necessary to be recovered send the drive to someone that specializes in that process.

btw, If you have 2 of the same drive and want to play around, feel free to try it.
Good luck,
David
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote:purrkur, hyperspace,

hany321,
In the old days(im talking late 80s, early 90s) sometimes a drive would boot a cold system but fail when it warmed up. Usually it was a failure in the circuit board on the drive. It was often easy to get a hold of a 2nd drive of the same model that would NOT boot a system(meaning a mechanical failure internally) and try swapping boards. Im talking about the days of MFM and RLL encoded 20-40meg drives. I have never tried to "fix" an IDE drive. Its usually easier to just get another drive.

I am against buying a new circuit board to repair a drive out of warrantee. If it has data that is actually necessary to be recovered send the drive to someone that specializes in that process.

btw, If you have 2 of the same drive and want to play around, feel free to try it.
Good luck,
David
David, in those days you could take a look at the circuit board controlling the harddrive and work on it. It was dual layer and it contained regular circuitry from established players on the market that did things like stepper and brushless DC motor drivers, they used regular logic circuits and other regular components so if you had manuals on those IC manufacturers, you could pick up the datasheets for those componets and actually understand what they did and do measurements to see if they were working like they should.

Back in those days, harddrives/floppy drives were so expensive that it was worth the effort to try fix them if they broke. Hell, I have even used IC´s from old floppy drives for my own projects such as the unipolar stepper motor drivers that were common on those drives back in those days.

Today, harddrives are extremely cheap, they are built on multilayer cirquit boards and the main technology used is ASIC with no documentation whatsoever to be found. The circuit boards are not found as replacement parts on the market. In short, late 80s, early 90´s was 15-20 years ago :) The example you give (having two identical drives, one that is broken mechanically and another that is broken electrically) is the only example where I can think that changing the circuit board might work. But what are the chances of that happening??
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

purrkur wrote:
Opps, me thinks me was more harsh then intended to my friends and advisors.
purrkur wrote:
davd_bob wrote: hany321,
In the old days(im talking late 80s, early 90s)...
Back in those days, harddrives/floppy drives were so expensive that it was worth the effort...

Today harddrives are extremely cheap...
Its easier to rummage up a working drive of any model then locate a non-working one of the exact model to try a repair.
Besides, many of the our viewers were still in diapers or watching power rangers instead of wishing they could afford a 486sx back then.
purrkur wrote:
davd_bob wrote: David, the example you give (having two identical drives, one that is broken mechanically and another that is broken electrically) is the only example where I can think that changing the circuit board might work. But what are the chances of that happening??
Probably none. In fact I don't know anyone who has had the luck to get their hands on two identical failed drives, one mechanical and one eletroniclly. Hence my coment about "if data needs to be recovered, send the drive to someone that specializes in that work."

Off topic...
I noticed several old topics in my UNREAD MESSAGES. Is it just me or is it system changes?
Last edited by davd_bob on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

davd_bob wrote:Opps, me thinks me was more harsh then intended to my friends and advisors.
Hehehe! Well, you didn't hurt my feelings but I thought that it was better to explain my first comment :D
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
hany321

just try to test that

Post by hany321 »

hi all
just try to test it on an old hard drive
it is vital if the hard drive contains important data on it
The Solution Is :
you need to replace the hard drive board with another one that belong to old hard drive with the same storage capacity and manfcturing date
why do not anyone try to know something crazy with old pc's and test it
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

davd_bob wrote:
purrkur wrote:
Don't sweat it! I'll be 47 on the 3rd. Skin is getting thicker. :bigroll:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

hyperspace wrote:
davd_bob wrote:
purrkur wrote:
Don't sweat it! I'll be 47 on the 3rd. Skin is getting thicker. :bigroll:
HA !!
Im not 47 until April ! :rude:
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
_65536_kb_sec_

Post by _65536_kb_sec_ »

sorry but everything depends
if u know how to find the problem in a hdd it will be easy then to find the printed curcuit (as we call it - electronic) or the other thing (just calling it metal) and then replace it. but only from just the same hdd and the same model etc...
Live to get better comp for no money
KliK

Re: Replacing Hard Disk Board how and when ??

Post by KliK »

hany321 wrote:hi all
in some cases you need to replace your hard disk mother board
when to replace this board and how ???
please reply

so what is your HDD?!
i've done sucha thing, but you must have the exact same HDD to do that!!!
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Sheesh you guys, come on, we are all here to help each other. I speak as an "older" person (60+), I love this forum and will do anything to help people reach their goals (BP6) or other wise.

Just a comment from an "old fart" , maybe I'm taking things the wrong way but I think some times "egos" get in the way of the "real world", lets continue to do what we do best (support each other).

I personally get TONS of help and feedback from this group!

You people keep things going for me.

I am very lucky in that I am semi-retired and can devote time to my BP6 projects, I know most of you can't do this.

I will continue to push the limits of this board and post results (most are already known but who knows what might pop up!)

Although I have a 3.2 gig "D" system, 2 gig ram, 200 gig hard drive, 7.1 surround system and a 256 meg vid card plus 2 dual 'burners (including a dual layer burner) I still love to play with my BP6!

Why? because it is there!

Regards,

jaybird

Flames accepted

:wink:
KliK

Post by KliK »

well it's nice to have someone older and wiser here... :D :D :D
although we are generally youger...we all hope that our youth and enthusiasm gives you sthg to push everyday with...it's nice to have this page to get away from everyday stress... :lol: :lol: :lol:

also if it werent for this page i could never figure out the problems i had with BP6 board...but thanks to you, those were sweet problems...and my comp is working just fine & crunching data!!! ;)

even though i have a newer board for building new system...this BP6 gives me great pleasure to tweek is a little bit more...maybe the 366s are up next...i have maybe 10 of them in the box, just waiting to be used!!! :D :D :D