FSB Vs hdd?

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
jaybird

FSB Vs hdd?

Post by jaybird »

What are the FSB speed(s) that may damage IDE hard drives when over-clocking?

Regards,

jaybird
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

'k (?) (shrugz)
where'd you hear that one ?
I've not seen that a s a possible problem.
Last edited by Dave Rave on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

FSB speed(s) and the HPT3666 controller, maybe?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
jaybird

Post by jaybird »

Well, I'v read on this site that certain FSB speeds, while over-clocking can cause data corruption or, even worse, physical damage to the drive itself? Can this happen on the HighPoint controller (which, believe it or not, I have NEVER had any problems with!)?

I have never run into this problem myself. However, I just got a "new" BP6 and matched pairs of three different Celeron's, 366's (fried my originals, they went 584 stable air cooled then 605 with pelts!), 433's and 500's.

I do not believe I will get any where near the FSB speeds out of the 433's and 500's as I did on my original 366's but, just for grin's I want to see what I can get out of each pair, first on an an unmodified board with std cooling then, with each pair in turn, make gradual changes in cooling the CPU's, lapping, BX and finally moding the board (EC10, etc.,.).

If I am successful, I will then attempt to make the jump to PIII's (as I did with my last board), and finally, I will run a direct compaison between the BP6 and a later dual PIII board using a VIA chipset.

Yeah, I know, its' all been done before but has it ever been done buy one person, using exactly the same equipment for all the testing?

Any way, its one way for me to once and for all get a BP6 maxxed out to my satisfaction before I move on to another dually (looking at XEON's or AMD's).

Regards,

jaybird
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

jaybird wrote:Well, I'v read on this site that certain FSB speeds, while over-clocking can cause data corruption or, even worse, physical damage to the drive itself?
Some drives handle overclocking better than others. I have never heard of physical damage being done but I have heard of data corruption.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Jay,
avoid 80-91FSB. anything that OC's the IDE to 40MHz or more is proly good to avoid.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100