Hercules Prophet 4800, Kyro2SE chipset?!

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
KliK

Hercules Prophet 4800, Kyro2SE chipset?!

Post by KliK »

has anyone got this card for sale?

it's a Kyro2SE chipset with speed about 200MHz, AGP 1-2-4x, 64MB RAM & TV-out; only made by Hercules in few thousend pieces and sold in stores before it was decomissioned (better than to just destroy the cards)...I have prophet 4500 TV-out series, and would like to get the latest Kyro chipset for my BP6!!!
so, if there is anyone who has that card and would like to sold it, please contact me!!!
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Hey Klik,

Just a question out of curiosity: Why are you so interested in graphics cards based on the Kyro chipset?? From what I can remember, they are not all that fast, not mainstream and have had buggy drivers (correct me if I am wrong).

FYI: I was building a new Linux machine for me to use at work so I grabbed a machine that noone was using. The fan on the graphics card in that machine (an old Diamond Viper TNT2 Ultra) was making jet-engine sounds when turned on so I removed it and looked for another. I actually found a Kyro II card with 64 megs of memory from Hercules (Prophet 4500) lying around so I put that in and then I actually thought of you because you have been talking about those (and in your sig as well).

I usually don't bother with any graphics adapters on Linux except nVidia stuff but I thought I should make an exception to see how well it is supported. It is a lot more quiet too :)
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
KliK

Post by KliK »

well, maybe i could help you with the drivers...if ones on hercules web page don't work, try on www.powervr.com page...

and they are not fast in filling, but have some smart chips that cuts the hidden polygons...so it's almost as fast as GF2 GTS...even beter in high res!!!
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

From the powervr.com page:
Linux kernel 2.6 introduced major structural changes to the way driver modules are built and loaded. As a result, existing KYRO drivers are not compatible with any Linux kernel whose version is 2.6 or above. To keep using KYRO drivers, users are requested to use the latest available 2.4 Linux kernel version. We have currently no plans of providing drivers supporting updated kernels.
Bleh! :?

Good thing that I don't need any 3D capabilities at work....
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel