New Videocard / BP6

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
capo_lupino

Post by capo_lupino »

Be very, very, very careful all of you. It may work some time until it burns. Don't forget BP6 AGP bus is 2X at 5volts! I had one of the first Asus v6600 geforce 256 and it lasted me 10 months! until it burned out. The card was rated for 4X at 3,3volts and the BP6 burnt it! Still want to try if the card still works on a 4X 3,3 volts motherboard!
It's better to find out a second hand video adapter as S3 Trio 3D/2X (OC!) or Intel 740 (max 75 mhz FSB) or why not a shitty SIS 6326 with 8megs on it (did not OC). I tried them all on my BP6 and worked fine. ( alittle bit hot maybe!)
Power without control is nonsense!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

capo_lupino wrote:Be very, very, very careful all of you. It may work some time until it burns. Don't forget BP6 AGP bus is 2X at 5volts! I had one of the first Asus v6600 geforce 256 and it lasted me 10 months! until it burned out. The card was rated for 4X at 3,3volts and the BP6 burnt it! Still want to try if the card still works on a 4X 3,3 volts motherboard!
It's better to find out a second hand video adapter as S3 Trio 3D/2X (OC!) or Intel 740 (max 75 mhz FSB) or why not a shitty SIS 6326 with 8megs on it (did not OC). I tried them all on my BP6 and worked fine. ( alittle bit hot maybe!)
I thought AGP 2x was 3.3Volts and 4x to be 1.5volts. Please double check your information.
capo_lupino

Post by capo_lupino »

UPPPS!
Sorrrrrry!

You are right Derek. I don't know at what I was thinking (3 o'clock in the morning on my side!)

Anyway, my Geforce burnt out! Maybe that's why they took out GeForce 2 a few months later.....I should have waited....

Great site by the way. Should have looked for it before!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

capo_lupino wrote:UPPPS!
Sorrrrrry!

You are right Derek. I don't know at what I was thinking (3 o'clock in the morning on my side!)

Anyway, my Geforce burnt out! Maybe that's why they took out GeForce 2 a few months later.....I should have waited....

Great site by the way. Should have looked for it before!
It's all good! Heh :)
capo_lupino

Post by capo_lupino »

Last reply to Derek, I think....

You were right but I wasn't so wrong in essence. Checking information by Intel on AGP Bus Spec. you are right
- 2X 3,3 Volts
- 4X 1,5 Volts
- 8x 0,8 Volts (should be...but...)

but people from Abit made the BP6 with a f... 5 volts AGP 2X Bus (Sandra says, and BP6 user's guide too) so let's warn people that they may have some problems in the future with modern video cards. Anyway BP6 mobo is not for gaming.....or should not be. There are other cheep solutions around there based on AMD who have better results for 3D games and so on. OR let's have a double Xeon 2,4 Ghz with hyperthreading (dreams don't cost anything) :lol: :lol: :lol: and an 8X AGP and 4 GB RAM, 320 UWSCSI....blah,blah. :twisted:

Still a great site :P.
Power without control is nonsense!
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

no... just find the voltage you wanna drop and add resistors :)

Kuun
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

Hi,

I think this is my problem ... I just buy an Geforce 2 GTS, and it's impossible to stabilisate the system ... the computer starts, but when i'm under windows 2000, it freeze all the time .... I tested all drivers even old one and this bring me the same problem ..

I tested an Rage Pro 128, and a Nvidia GF4 Ti4200, same probelm on all Cards ...

What king of grafic card could i buy .... ????

thx

Seeya

P.S. Sorry my english is no so good ! :roll:
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

the_yeti wrote:Hi,

I think this is my problem ... I just buy an Geforce 2 GTS, and it's impossible to stabilisate the system ... the computer starts, but when i'm under windows 2000, it freeze all the time .... I tested all drivers even old one and this bring me the same problem ..

I tested an Rage Pro 128, and a Nvidia GF4 Ti4200, same probelm on all Cards ...

What king of grafic card could i buy .... ????

thx

Seeya

P.S. Sorry my english is no so good ! :roll:
Your English is fine. :)

Are we to understand that you have not been able to use your BP6 mainboard with any video card? I am using a Geforce 2 MX 400 (Leadtek) in Win2KPro. When you tried to use your GTS, did you do a new install of Win2KPro with that card in the BP6.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

hi,

thx :D

OK, so I did a new install when i plugged for the first time my GTS2, the probelms starts Here ... in fact my computer freezee under win2k, even if i do nothing or when i did an anti-virus check (for example)

Then i tried en ATI RAGE PRO 128 : Probelm the same ..

But, my old card (i didn't have it anymore ...) an TNT2 32mb worked fine for 2 years !!!!!

I read about AGP voltages ... whitch could be the source ... ?
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

How big is your power supply (how many WATTs)?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

My Power Supplie is an Antec True Power 460 W, the original bundle in the ANTEC SX1080 AMG ...

THe news, is that yesterday evening (GMT Time) my 2nd HDD fall down (an IBM 40Go ...) I think that the problems came from it, 'cos the computer freezee when I decompress files on this disk ... will see ...

I reinstall the full system yesterday evening (with the GF2 GTS card), and I did not use the UDMA66 cables ... I burned 3 HDD in 3 years with all my for HDD on the High Point Controleur (In fact 4 HDD) ...

Seeya
;o)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Many BP6ers use the Promise controller (PCI card) instead of the HPT366 controller on the BP6. I have used the HPT366 controller for over three years. But, I use an Adaptec SCSI controller to boot my OSes. :wink:
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

So you say that you can use th HPT366 controler if you don't boot the system on it ....

This could be a good alternative !

I réinstall my system for the 3rd time yesterday evening (always GMT Time :D ), and with the GF2 GTS and HDD on the standard IDE port, it seems to be stable ... will see !

Seeya

;o)
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Yes, I do this on both of my BP6's. Use the Adaptec SCSI controllers for booting the operating systems; running programs. The hard drives on the HPT366 controllers do data storage and have the system pagefile on them.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

capo_lupino wrote:Last reply to Derek, I think....

You were right but I wasn't so wrong in essence. Checking information by Intel on AGP Bus Spec. you are right
- 2X 3,3 Volts
- 4X 1,5 Volts
- 8x 0,8 Volts (should be...but...)

but people from Abit made the BP6 with a f... 5 volts AGP 2X Bus (Sandra says, and BP6 user's guide too) so let's warn people that they may have some problems in the future with modern video cards. Anyway BP6 mobo is not for gaming.....or should not be. There are other cheep solutions around there based on AMD who have better results for 3D games and so on. OR let's have a double Xeon 2,4 Ghz with hyperthreading (dreams don't cost anything) :lol: :lol: :lol: and an 8X AGP and 4 GB RAM, 320 UWSCSI....blah,blah. :twisted:

Still a great site :P.
I can't find that information in the manual or Sandra; can you tell me what page in the manual and what icon in Sandra?

Thanks
the_yeti

Post by the_yeti »

Just for Informtion :

I buy an Promise TX2 Ultra 133 PCI adaptater .... and this stuff, don't know why stopped my Freeze problems with my GF2 GTS card !! :? :shock:

I think that since 2/3 month my HPT366 chipset started to give up ... and now, if I install on disk on it, the system can't start (Stop in the Windows Boot sequence) ..

Happy, to have my BP6 running for 2 weeks without any reboot :lol: 8)

Seeya
;o)
Derek
Site Admin

Re: Abit heard from on the AGP voltage...

Post by Derek »

Seattle_TDI wrote:Dear Customer,

AGP on BP6 should provide 3.3volt only...
I'm very happy to see that information. I was really disturbed by the 5volt comments floating around here!

Thanks for taking the initiative.
naro

Post by naro »

hyperspace wrote:Many BP6ers use the Promise controller (PCI card) instead of the HPT366 controller on the BP6. I have used the HPT366 controller for over three years. But, I use an Adaptec SCSI controller to boot my OSes. :wink:
i dun use the highpoint controller..

i'm using the onboard IDE controller (ATA33) with a ATA100 hdd.. heehee..

i'm a satisfied user..