No L2-Cache on CPU2 after BIOS-Update

OS / Drivers / BIOS
linefade

No L2-Cache on CPU2 after BIOS-Update

Post by linefade »

The last days I flashed my BIOS several times, in order to get Solaris 9 x86 installed on my BP6 with 2 Celeron-A (Mendocino) 500MHz.

Suddenly after one flash-process, the machine showed strange behaviour like not switching the monitor on when power-on and not printing the messages it used to print on BIOS-Screen.

I discovered that somehow the L2-Cache on CPU2 is not initialised, the BIOS-Screen says ' L2-Cache: 128k/None'. So i don't now what to do, it seems not to be a problem with the CMOS-Settings.

Can someone please help me? Thanks for all postings.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

in cmos...set both L1 and L2 cache to disabled and save it. When the pc finished booting up do a complete power off shutdown(cold boot up) then restart it and go into cmos and re-enable both L1 and L2 and save settings again. Let it boot up...if this doesn't fix it do another cold boot but this time let it sit for 60 seconds before powering up to make sure anything out of tolorance temp wise in the offending cpu cools off.
Maybe one of the cellys went south.
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
linefade

Post by linefade »

Hello to davd_bob,

thanks for your reply. As I expected, unfortunately my problem is not caused by any CMOS-settings, I tried the way you described, but no success.

I'm also not sure where the L2-Cache is situated, on DIE or on Board. I think there is a Error Beep Code for broken L2 too. But POST passes without problems.

Since I had problems with running Prime95 for approximately 20 minutes or installing W2K, rigth now I cannnot imagine anything else than one of my Processors went broken.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

try pulling one of the cpus and boot up then try the other. at least you can figure out which cpu is bad.
btw, L2 cache is built on the actual cpu chip.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
linefade

Post by linefade »

Yes, that's what I thought too, yesterday I changed Sockets and the problem moved with the one CPU, so I know that this one is definetly broken.

When looking for some new ones (I'm going to buy a new pair, to be sure to have real twins) I found these Celeron 366's with SL36C Stepping, these are said to be easily overclockable and stable at 5.5x100.

My CPU's are cooled by two Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2, these are made for Athlon up to 3200+, that will be sufficiently enough cooling.

So I think these will be the next ones. Thanks again for your help!
linefade

Post by linefade »

Yes, that's what I thought too, yesterday I changed Sockets and the problem moved with the one CPU, so I know that this one is definetly broken.

When looking for some new ones (I'm going to buy a new pair, to be sure to have real twins) I found these Celeron 366's with SL36C Stepping, these are said to be easily overclockable and stable at 5.5x100.

My CPU's are cooled by two Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2, these are made for Athlon up to 3200+, that will be sufficiently enough cooling.

So I think these will be the next ones. Thanks again for your help!
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Yup,
I traded a pair of 500s for 366s. haven't received the 366s yet but had a spare 366 and just running on it for now. Mine won't run 100fsb but very stable at 92. i even DROPPED the voltage to 1.85.

They say you can use different speed cpus so if you have any mendocino celeron swap it. make sure you keep the faster one in the socket nearer the ram though.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100