after the demise of Redhat

OS / Drivers / BIOS
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

after the demise of Redhat

Post by Dave Rave »

I have the cd's downloaded to install redhat linux
but they don't support it free style anymore

is there a good free linux to set up a farm box on ?
I'd like to get away from the phobia of installing my windows on 'other' boxes against the license.
but I don't want hassles with updates, and it's all too hard for a windows user and those silly linux commands are way hard.

it needs vnc for monitoring
easy to do

or, if I put in my vanilla redhat 9.0 sans updates, purely a headless seti cruncher, would it be a problem regarding hackable exposures to the nasty web ?
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Dave_rave: Fedora is pretty much a continuation of Red Hat's "free" setup. Fedora has recently released "Core 2" for download and that is supported just like the old Red Hat releases. The good thing about Fedora is that there is a community that is being built around it so there are many Fedora specific FAQ's and howtos around, along with Fedora dedicated sites. The bad is that this distro is lacking almost everything called Multimedia so some work needs to be done if you want to view video files as well as playing mp3's.

Debian is also a very good alternative that is getting better all the time. They are now building a program for installing Debian (that senses and sets up hardware etc) which is in beta release 4 now. I run Debian on my BP6 and it works really well and is a good distro to run on it.
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

really just want a dekstop that will take a vnc connection, and crunch seti.
don't want / need sound, or anything else.
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

OK. I would go with Fedora then....
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel