WinXp pro not booting at all on bp6

OS / Drivers / BIOS
dmalchir

WinXp pro not booting at all on bp6

Post by dmalchir »

i've installed winxp pro on my bp6 but it keeps giving some blue screen after that black loading win xp screen right b4 the welcome sign
so i don't even get to see welcome sign after installed winxp pro
=( same thing happened when i tried installing it a few times=( :x
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

did the system boot into the os before?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I assume it ran some time after the initial XP install.
How Long before blue screen started?
What changed?
To what controller is the Hdisk connected?
Will it boot in safe mode?
Can you boot from the WinXP CDROM?
Can you read the blue screen error code? Is it disk related?

Try using a different Hdisk IDE cable, bad cables cause many blue screen crashes in WinXp. I have recently been screwed by bad IDE cables more than once. Switched over to round ones & started to get blue screens .
replaced with expensive ones & problem GONE.
Zero point energy
dmalchir

Post by dmalchir »

sorry for slow reply, i dumped my bp6 mobo somewhere in the store room of my house because i was really mad at it not being able to boot on win xp pro..... at all
yeah, it does boot from winxppro cd, only to the installation processes, but when i'm done installing it just freaking don't boot at all O_o? :cry:
there is no error msg (no blue screen) you just stall and hangs,did not even get to enter windows after installation connected to the normal ide cables (non UDMA 66)
nope hangs on safe mode too =(
when i use then UDMA 66 ides winxp just doesn't allow me to install because it doesn't detect any hdisk T_T
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

Can you strip your system down to CD-ROM, hard drive, and graphics card (i.e. pull out any SCSI card, sound card, NIC, etc)? This would eliminate a problematic piece of hardware. Try an AGP and a PCI graphics card, if possible. I'd even suggest laying your hands on an ISA card and trying that.

Also, be advised that PCI slots 4 and 5 cannot both hold bus-mastering devices. There is also quite a lot of IRQ sharing between PCI slots, other PCI slots and onboard devices on the BP6, so a hardware conflict is a possibility.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
BCN

Post by BCN »

and check your IDE cables, maybe they are faulty...
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

change your ram sticks back to one that you know is working.
get a copy of MemDoc to run some memory tests on your chips.

don't boot off the hpt366 controller.
make sure the hdd is on the black ide controller, not a white one.

check in your system health display in bios and watch the volatges for a minute or two.
see if there is some bad fluctuations.

is your hard drive working fine ?
get it to fdisk into a fat32 partition
so you can scandisk it and see the block map display, check for bad blocks.
fully scan it if you are not sure and see if it has some potential bad blocks where the cursor takes a long time over a certain sector
dmalchir

Post by dmalchir »

thanks, for replying =) but, i've tried your suggestions to avail, btw all my other hard ware (hdisk,rams..etc.) are working fine, (just plain cdrom, savage4 agp, 128ram no sound card no floppy etc. just hdisk) its just that it won't boot after i installed, so i never ever entered into windows at all, and i can only install on the black normal ide when i use the whites (UDMA 66) i simply cannot install at all because it doesn't recognize i have a hdisk plugged into it(i did not use the disket drivers during the installation)
now i feel like throwing it out of the window x_O maybe its because of the mobo version (rev) or bios? i did not tweak anything when i bought it (2nd hand store) or is it just the drivers? i should put drivers into pc when installing?
BCN

Post by BCN »

scandisk your drive and that's all, sometimes you don't boot because of bad sectors
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
fa1rldy

Post by fa1rldy »

Did you change the HAL settings during installation? The same thing happened to me but after changing the settings, it booted fine for me. (During the initial XP setup, press F5 and select the multiprocessor MPS, if I remember correctly)
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

I'd start again, and do it over.
go to bios, load defaults, so it's 'safe'
save and have at ye....
===============
I'll load a spare hdd up now..
but it's only a single cpu and acpi is off.
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

stupid older drives.
my old drive which happily had win98 on it, won't load linux or winxp.
I checked it. it shows fine.
load winxp, nup.
un-fdisk and re-fdisk. shows ok
format ....
back to windows on another hdd.
hmmm, older driver is there in fdisk but doesn't show in windows. something strange.
put it in again, kill it, re-fdisk it, now it's loading winxp ok. (??!?!?)

seems older drives are tempermental tempremental (dammit, where's my dictionary) temperamental. (dbldammit) (getting old)
Dave Rave
G'Day Mate!

Post by Dave Rave »

got it working
pretty tele-tubbies screen
changed network setting
looked around
did reboot
nothing

stupid older drives
BCN

Post by BCN »

bad luck....
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Plus P4 system
dmalchir

WOOHOO! i'm playing diablo2 on it now =D

Post by dmalchir »

i borrow a couple of parts to test what went wrong, and i figured that my creative live value sound card caused this 1 big shit problem, weird? it works on my pentium 200 mmx but it doesn't on bp6 in fact, it fried on my bp6 on the first attempt to put everything together. The second problem was hdisk, it doesn't wanna boot on my WD800 hdisk ?_? so i stuffed a 6 gig maxtor into it and it works fine but it gets kinda hot and hangs sometimes.you might wanna know whats in my bp6 so...
Dual Cellies 433 (not OCed because i don't know how!)
s3 savage4 8meg agp (a friend gave it to me for free :D )
128+32 pc100 sdram (2nd hand shop)
6gig hdisk (no labels on it when i fished it outta my friend's old machine and it is non UDMA 66 and above)
3com pci network card (stole it from my work place :roll: )
creative awe32 isa (free from yet another friend)

i have 2 new problems now,
1# original heatsinks overheat sometimes without OC or is it just Malaysia temperature? cannot afford new sinks, cheap 2nd sinks won't fit cause the capacitors are kinda packed together
2# it doesn't boot when i put in big capacity eg. 80gig WD hdisk even after installing the hpt 366 driver in my winxp pro

thx for helping imanoobie at trouble shooting.....
and i don't have much money to mod or fix my stuff so usually i use non conventional methods to get what i want done =D
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

Creative sound cards have a lot of those kinds of problems. Their drivers don't even know what "SMP" means. I had an SB Live, and after fighting with it for a week after I first got my BP6 I just got rid of it.
original heatsinks overheat sometimes without OC or is it just Malaysia temperature? cannot afford new sinks, cheap 2nd sinks won't fit cause the capacitors are kinda packed together
What do you mean by "overheat"? Is the system unstable, or is it just a little higher than you'd like?

One thing you can do is pull the side off your case. If your temps drop, you need more airflow in your case or just a cleaner path for the air.

You could always desolder the caps and relocate them further away with hookup wire.
it doesn't boot when i put in big capacity eg. 80gig WD hdisk even after installing the hpt 366 driver in my winxp pro
You're not trying to use the HPT366, are you? Everyone knows it's just there to make the BP6 look better on paper, it doesn't do anything. :)
dmalchir

Post by dmalchir »

my sound card works fine now, isa awe32
my cpus over heat when i run programs and games that requires more resources than usual software eg. diablo2 and causes whatever i run to crash or hang and my cpus are really HOT even when my casing is open, it is cooler when i close my casing because i have good air flo in it(exhaust fans) when casing is open i can feel the warmth of the cpus at my calf (pc case on floor)
Desolder the caps away? O_o i don't have a steady hand and are you sure it won't have any side effects?

i don't know nuts about hpt366 and what it does i just install, plug and play if it runs, i'm happy =) if it doesn't i start pulling some pubic hair off me =D

i will consider desoldering the caps further away IF there is nothing much to compromise and no possible side effects when i'm done
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

OK, if your temps are lower when the case is closed odds are case cooling is fine. If your heatsinks are hot (not the CPUs, the heatsinks), heat transfer from CPU slug to heatsink is fine, and heat transfer from heatsink to outside air (case airflow is fine), so... what are your ambient temps? Do you need an air conditioner? :) That Malay heat may be giving you problems. Odds are if you're not comfortable, your CPUs won't be either.

Leave the HPT366 well alone. Trust me. It's a liability.

I wouldn't bother desoldering the caps. It was semi-serious. There are plenty of perfectly good heatsinks that'll fit on the BP6, and if one of those can't prevent stability problems at stock speed, odds are a bigger heatsink won't help you anyway. It's got to be something else.

What heatsinks are you using? It's very unusual to have stability problems at stock speed, especially with a low-wattage CPU like the Celeron. You say "original sinks", do you mean the stock Intel ones?

Are you using thermal paste? Properly? What's your core voltage?

What does your case temp readout say? Give us the actual temperature readings from all three sensors at idle, and load. You can use motherboard monitor, speedfan, system doctor etc.
dmalchir

Post by dmalchir »

yep, stock celly sinks, they suck, but its alright now, i've moved the caps away with a 'blower' and now my caps stick to the mobo with old ide cables chopped up using p3 stock sinks seem to have solved the problem,
RM10 each for 2nd hand p3 stock sinks RM150-300 for a new sink that doesn't require desoldering caps, go figure =)
the temperature in Malaysia during the day is around 43celcius outside, and 30celcius inside at night on a cold(after the rain) day
air conditioning? WOW its considered an luxury item here, i own a few units (air con) but i don't use it often, because Malaysia sux( we have to pay alot for stupid stuff eg. ciggies, beer, electricity ) so that won't be an option for me
yes, i use stock thermal paste too, artic silver 3 here cost me a day's worth of my salary, so i won't buy them. properly? LOL i cannot afford to not use them improper
i'll post my temperature readout sometime later, anyway i'm using defaults for my processors no OCs or custom settings
btw, i've made a air scoop out of card board box and the temp in the bios dropped a lil
bottomline is my country sux because of many various reasons, and good because no natural disasters bla bla, so.... i gotta make use of really cheap stuff to enjoy my computer =) eg. the thinner and TP trick to remove thermal paste, because rubbing it of with specially made chemical/solvent is just too damn expensive here, i rather buy more thermal paste =P
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

yep, stock celly sinks, they suck, but its alright now, i've moved the caps away with a 'blower' and now my caps stick to the mobo with old ide cables chopped up using p3 stock sinks seem to have solved the problem
Great! I'm glad to hear that. I suppose stock sinks are good for cooler climates and air-conditioned buildings but not for hotter places.
air conditioning? WOW its considered an luxury item here, i own a few units (air con) but i don't use it often, because Malaysia sux( we have to pay alot for stupid stuff eg. ciggies, beer, electricity ) so that won't be an option for me
That's terrible! It makes you thankful for what you have, I suppose. Here in Canada the summer temperatures reach about 45 Celsius in the daytime, but we all have central air and cheap power so my house is a comfortable 23 C. However, just think of me in the winter, when the outside temp drops to -20 and I have to shovel my car out of three feet of snow. :)
artic silver 3 here cost me a day's worth of my salary
Good grief. I assume if you have "a few" air conditioners that your salary isn't that bad? Have you tried buying some from overseas and having it shipped? If you can't, let me know and I'll buy some here and send it to you. It'd only cost me a couple of dollars for shipping.
btw, i've made a air scoop out of card board box and the temp in the bios dropped a lil
Then you can probably improve your temperatures more. How many fans do you have, and where are they?
dmalchir

Post by dmalchir »

the hot weather here all year long rocks! but bad for hot pcs =(

i currently live with my parents, they have 1 in their room (they payed for it)
1 in my guest room (they payed for it too)
1 in my room and it costed me RM1k (my salary avg. RM800 a mth)
so i saved, some money and bought 1
USD1 = RM3.8
THANKS for offering to pay my shippin cost, but unfortunately i cannot think a way to repay you for it
1#Paypal rejected its services to Malaysians
2#Credit cards services here cost alot more than paying cash here
3#USD1 = RM3.8 and convert it to EUR makes me look even poorer =(

i will stick to cheapeST or free upgrades ^_^
neway most of my pc parts and upgrades are free or dirt cheap

i have 1 exhaust fan ,1 on each stock sink, 2 in psu
thats all =) and i funnel the stock sinks exhaust into psu exhaust with cardboards and sticky tape =)
now my bp6 is doing ok i guess =)