setting up a new install

OS / Drivers / BIOS
cavity

setting up a new install

Post by cavity »

I recently installed BEos next to xp. I like the boot manager better than anything else, it's so simple. The main things i want from an OS are stability, quick easy web browsing, and instant messaging. rarely do i play pc games anymore, ps2 fills the slot.
the stability is great, this is why i dont just have xp on here.
I havn't found a particularly nice browser for beos yet, but mozilla is ok.
I cant get an msn to work, the one that came bundled likes to crash instead of logging in.
forgot one thing, music and media. It's great for this, but the video player gave me trouble so i use vlc.

I've got to boot to it to see exactly what version everything is, but any suggestions on messaging or a browser comparable to opera on xp?
i dont have enough free time anymore... college will do that.
I've learned from experience that hpt sucks
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Excellent! Another BeOS convert.

Sadly, Opera ceased development for BeOS at version 3.62. There was a recent petition to continue development, but I don't think they are keen on making an updated BeOS version.

I use Mozilla Firefox for my browsing. It can be downloaded from the wonderful www.bebits.com

There has been a lot of work in making a new IM client recently. You can read about it here.

I use BeMSN, which is a little buggy. In the past I have also used Jabber.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
cavity

Post by cavity »

after reading that post, i tried to boot to beos... when it first starts up my monitor tells me the signal is out of range. The only thing that will make the screen work is alt-f4. the screen came back but there was no desktop, just the taskbar. no programs would run from the menu, and the taskbar itself froze and shutdown after clicking on a tray icon. this is all i can get from beos now, I imagine im closing something equivalent to explorer.exe to make the screen work. any ideas short of a reinstall? :roll:

edit: this time, it worked. with just an error message 3 times. "jpeg parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 460, caller expects 464:
edit again: I gave up with beos for now... everything is bugging me to buy it, jabber wont work for outside protocols without paying, mp3 player is always bugging me... everytime i do anything i get that error message.. every browser i've tried is really slow... so far windows is winning the race...
i dont have enough free time anymore... college will do that.
I've learned from experience that hpt sucks
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

What BeOS are you using? You should try BeOS 5 Dev. Ed. from http://www.beosonline.com/ or BeOS Max from http://www.beosmax.org/html/. I use Dev. Ed. and nothing has ever bugged me to buy it. Nor have I had any issues with stability.
BP6, RU BIOS, 2*Celeron 366@550 1.9v
2*GlobalWin FEP32, 512MB PC100 CAS2
GeForce DDR, CMI8738 audio, Accton SMC2-1211TX NIC
Ubuntu Linux, Kernel 2.6.8.1-4-686-smp
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

It would be a shame to give up now, cavity.

You can speed up Mozilla using AGMSRAMDiskDevice.

It's quite a tricky process to set up, but once you've done it, Moz should be a lot snappier.

Soundplay is a wonderful MP3 player. In fact, it's the best MP3 player I've ever used by far. It only costs USD 12.

I've sent you a PM.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-