My BP6 Web Server(the life of a BP6)

OS / Drivers / BIOS
PDR60

My BP6 Web Server(the life of a BP6)

Post by PDR60 »

I have to Admit it!!! The BP6 is a board that just doesn't ever give up. About two and a half years ago My BP'er lost its IDE controllers. I thought it was goner for sure. So I built a Tyan 2507t(a very nice board). I decommisioned the old BP'er. We had been through allot together and it was tough. Then one day I had an idea. Why not try a SCSI controller. So I stuck a 2940 in and a 9 gig drive and began to play. It stayed up and it never missed a beat for over a month. I figured what the heck, so I hit Ebay and picked up a Compaq 3200 Raid card and 3 more drives. Well, that was over 2 years ago. That motherboard is every bit as reliable as it was the day I bought it. It has been a reliable web server for over 2 yaers.

Since I put My Linux site http://www.linuxloader.com on the box its been getting an increased workout. The site is becoming pretty popular and the box is just chugging right along. It now is going to get a full load of ram and thats the last I'll have to mod it. I also have one for a mail server that is also just a great great box. I wish that Abit would poduce something like the BP6 again. It would be a hit and a sure seller. Oh well wishfull thinking......

I thought some of you that are thinkng of getting rid of the old Bp'er would want to know ..... It makes one heck of a file/web/mail server. Don't get rid of just change it role........

PDR60
Billl

Post by Billl »

Very nice site you have there. I just registered. But I must say the login process kinda sucks. Whats with the number you have to type in each time?

Billl
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

So now you have to resort to spamming our message board, PDR? :lol:

I agree, the BP6 is an awesome little server. I have it running a lot of tasks; it never rests and it gets the job done well.
-Derek
purrkur
Linux Guru

Post by purrkur »

Thumbs up PDR60! The BP6 is a great performer under Linux indeed. Nice to see success stories like this one!
2x533MHz@544MHz, 2.0V
640MB PC100 memory
Realtek RTL-8139 NIC
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB hdd
Debian Linux stable with 2.4.8 kernel
PDR60

Post by PDR60 »

Derek wrote:So now you have to resort to spamming our message board, PDR? :lol:

I agree, the BP6 is an awesome little server. I have it running a lot of tasks; it never rests and it gets the job done well.

Spamming?????? I hope thats a joke!!! Jez I've been a bp6.com fan for years . From the very begining...
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

PDR60 wrote:
Derek wrote:So now you have to resort to spamming our message board, PDR? :lol:

Spamming?????? I hope thats a joke!!! Jez I've been a bp6.com fan for years . From the very begining...
Yup, I was joking!
-Derek