G'Day Mate!

Redhat 9 installing

Post by Dave Rave »

Derek asked if anyone had it yet

I downloaded, and burnt, and installed
used an old 8gb drive in my 1.6ghz Intel Piv

it booted fine, media tested fine, installed fine
auto detected the monitor, sound card
had to tell it the onboard SIS 650 chipset for vga, but you can't expect everything

I had no problems with it, apart from not knowing what I was doing ;-)
I'll try it again in small firewall mode and see if I can get it to be my web portal
bp6's 3 x dual @ 533
. . . . 1 x dual @ 466
. . . . 1 sngl @ 400
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.4ghz )]
[( 2 x dual xeon 2.66ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4C ghz )]
[( 1 x 2.4B ghz )]
[( 1 x dual AMD 1800MP )]
[( 1 x P4 1600 )]
[( 1 x 500 ppga )]
3 x piii 866
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

I installed RH9 last week. Easy installation was my primary interest, because I don´t know much about Linux. Had Mandrake 9 before, found that much better than 8.1 (especially the faster KDE 3.1 desktop).

But setting up Red Hat 9 is even easier. My ADSL connection worked instantly, while in Mandrake 9 it is still a real pain. The network wizard tends to mess things up. I had the ADSL connection working before, but last week I couln´t get it running anymore. So I scrapped Mandrake and went to Red Hat. Very fine. Expect less problems with rpm packages too.
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Homer S.

Post by Homer S. »

I installed RH 9, too, but couldn't use it enough to test it intensively as I'd like. Hope I'll be able to in the next weeks.
Installation went fine; all of the devices I could try were up and running (I didn't test my USB scanner, so I don't know whether it works again).
The only thing is, Gnome is very heavy to my Dual Celeron 433 (even using 512 MB of RAM), so I preferred switching to XFCE (release 4 is about to come), which is much faster.
Homer S.
johnli

Post by johnli »

RH9 has been on my BP6 for about a month and a half now. Unfortunately that's in my room at my folk's house, which is about 100 miles away, so i don't get to use it much.
I'm thinking of buying a 1U case and setting it up as a colo server...
Regards,
John
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Interesting. I think I'll try installing RH9 over MDLinux 8.2 on my second BP6 this weekend. Always like to try something new...

:D
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
hugoc

Post by hugoc »

I tried it and liked it better than Mandrake. The install is actually easier and less confusing than Mandrake's, not to mention faster. Looks like RedHat learnt from their competition. I find Gnome to be pretty fast on my dual 550, certainly comparable to XP.

Two gripes: first off, the XMMS that RedHat includes does not play back MP3s because RedHat fear the RIAA, you have to get the full XMMS RPM and install it, and secondly, the problem I always have with Gnome and my cable internet, that the hosts file doesn't have the hostname defined and spits up an error on logon.

Other than that, great!
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

I tried to install RH9 but it didn't like the partitioning on my existing setup that has Win2kPro, XP and MDL 8.2. Well, when I tried to change the MDL partitions during the RH9 install, it wouldn't change to the new sizes I wanted to use for RH9. I'll try again, after OverTime is finished at work.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...