bp6 o/c prob

mibberz

bp6 o/c prob

Post by mibberz »

seams when i put my 366's at above 75fsb it only boots the agp every second time, any hints?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

This is a know glitch with many systems. Two of my (3) BP6 rigs both have this problem. I don't think there has been any clear cut approach put forth on hoew to resolve this issue yet.
mibberz

Post by mibberz »

its a s3 trio i think nothing beefy
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

What's the speed of the AGP bus? Have the same issue at 100FSB and a 2/3 divider?
mibberz

Post by mibberz »

i always have 2/3 on
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

This is a common problem with BP6 motherboards; unfortunately no one has a solid explanation for it. Even mine does it! Though, I rarely shut it down.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

ovi wrote:would a pci graphic card stop this ?
Nope.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

Hmm... Booting problems with speeds above 75 fsb? I clocked my celery 366's @ 539 and used those evercool 715 sinks and fans, And the vid card i have is some pull out of a gateway machine, 3dfx banshee 16mb, works fine for what im doing. About booting goes, machine runs like it has two processors that were intended to run at that speed, I did have a problem about the 2nd power-up boot thing, but after i messed around with voltage settings multplier fsb blah blah, machine would boot everytime without hesitation. I did increase the voltage up to 2.1, When I clocked the 366's @ 550, (winblows didnt like it) but it ran anyway (booted), I tried voltage at 1.95 and it only seen one processor at post, so I placed them back at 539 (98fsb, 6.5 multiplier, 2/3 agp settings) and its been working great!, click one time it starts everytime, or resets everytime, ctrl alt and del also, no problems what so ever...Oh and one paticular thing Ive noticed, maybe im the only one who dosen't have any ide devices to use on the bp6 =D

All I have are scsi cards and drives floating around in every box I build. (was recieving an error about Ntfs_boot_block, or IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL_or whatever, seen about 10 different ones)maybe card was recieving irregular voltages when I went 100fsb or above 100.....everything 99 and under worked fine.

My 2 cents
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

Hmm.. I'm beginning to think there is something up with the IDE controllers on the bp6 (HPT & Intel BX). Hacked my board for dual 850s a long time ago and it was always a bit unstable. Added a bit more solder to the bigger EC10 I added, in addition to a socket wire that had come loose and things got a little better. Only when I trickled down a good SCSI subsystem did the problems clear up. Now it's solid up to about 120 FSB, at which point the processors get a little toasty. Since I prioritize data integrity and lifespan of equipment, I clocked it back to stock 100FSB and everything is happy.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Snugglebear wrote:Hmm.. I'm beginning to think there is something up with the IDE controllers on the bp6 (HPT & Intel BX)...
I couldn't agree more! If you're looking for topside OC results with the BP6 - RETIRE YOUR HPT controller & get a Promise/Maxtor ATA100 or 133!! (or a good SCSI card).
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

RRLedford wrote:If you're looking for topside OC results with the BP6 - RETIRE YOUR HPT controller & get a Promise/Maxtor ATA100 or 133!! (or a good SCSI card).
Bingo!
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

[quote="Snugglebear"]Hmm.. I'm beginning to think there is something up with the IDE controllers on the bp6 (HPT & Intel BX).

Just to make sure you guys knew I didnt use any IDE ports on the BP6 mobo, I have an old aha2940 scsi host adapter with my 18 gig cuda drive, although, I should try the Ultra160 card in it. I went above 100mhz fsb, the machine booted up fine, it was the O/S which said, "HEY SOMETHINGS NOT RIGHT" and refused to stay stable.
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

Well, the HPT has always been an issue for me. The Intel BX controllers seemed ok for a long time, but after the mod it seemed to cause more issues. No more IDE for me in any other machines.