Newbie with DEAD BP6

boogibson

Newbie with DEAD BP6

Post by boogibson »

I have recently aquired a used BP6 board and can not get it to boot. I hooked-up everything and nothing happens. When I remove the CMOS jumper the fans start moving, but nothing more, not even power light. The board stops when I re-install the CMOS jumper to the correct position. It will turn the fans on if I remove the jumper or place it in reset position.

I have tried several processors, MEM sticks, and VGA cards. The Caps appear to be fine and I see no damage to any other parts.

Could this be a hosed BIOS chip and if so where can I get it fixed at or order parts.

Go easy people, I'm new here....
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Welcome to BP6.Com, boogibson !

Have you tried flashing the BIOS to the RU version?
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
boogibson

Post by boogibson »

Acutally I have an update, I have found one capacitor ready to fall off. :shock: I can move the cap and see the pins on the bottom move around. I think it is a cap replacement gone bad. :cry:

Now I have to decide to send it to httP://www.motherboardrepair.com for repairs, if possible. I don't know if I can find another board for less than the repair cost and I really don't know if the last owner actually killed the board installing this cap incorrectly.

Any ideas??? :?:
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

Before you send it to Motherboardrepair.com, you should try to exchange the capacitors by yourself. It is not very hard and it can safe you alot of money. Have you tried to start the BP6 with an ISA graphics card ?
boogibson

Post by boogibson »

No, I haven't tried using an ISA card for boot-up. I'll look around the house and see if I have one. As for the cap, I have found one to be loose and installed VERY poorly. I ordered another BP6 so I have nothing to loose by trying to replace the loose cap, if I can find one.

Not to jump off subject, but I have enough processors to use either dual 366 OC'd to 551 or dual 500's. Don't know if the 500's are overclockable and I don't know which would be faster.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

366s are much more OCable than 500s.

You'll also get a faster FSB, giving better memory performance.
Like BP6.com? Not a member?
Then why the hell not? It's great!
-> BP6.com Membership <-
boogibson

Post by boogibson »

Ok, I go with the 366's and if I fix my other board, I'll use the 500's there.
iSDn

Post by iSDn »

Do the 366 have L2 cache ?
boogibson

Post by boogibson »

Yes, I believe they do. All the 366's I have say 128 SL36C and I thought that means sSpec SL36C and 128K L2 cache. I have ran one of them at 551 for 3 years straight without problem on a BE6 with a Slot 1 to 370 converter. The two I plan to use on the BP6 have the same specs.
boogibson

Post by boogibson »

Hey guys, I recieved my working BP6 and got it running. I posted another question in the Processor area of this forum.

http://www.bp6.com/board/viewtopic.php? ... &highlight