problems with voltage ono CPU 1

tomatoeboy

Post by tomatoeboy »

Saw this sort of problem a few times on the old message board. In general I believe that the conclusion was that the power traces had gone to that CPU & there wasn't really a lot you could do about it. Upgrades to anything higher than the 533 involve a powerleap adapter as seen in many posts on this board. It might be worth just getting a new board & moving all your components over to it :(

Check out the old message board (http://216.247.220.192/Forum/) with a search to see if there's anymore info there. That place was a goldmine, shame its all being deleted day by day :roll:
lungster

Post by lungster »

turnip wrote: If theres nothing in processor 1 then the reg happily stays cool but as soon as somethings plugged in, something causes it to become ridiculously inefficient :(
A little late for a reply I guess, but.... Check both the input and output voltage to the regulator you're using. Make sure it's consistent with the regulator supplying the working CPU (I'm assuming they are seperate, one per CPU). The difference between the two voltages times the current draw is the amount of heat the regulator has to dissipate. IIRC, most (all ?) of the BP6 regulators are NOT heatsinked (mine is closed up so I can't see them). If for some reason you have a faulty part on the input side of the regulator that's causing it to give you a higher voltage than the regulator was designed to handle in this application, it'll have to dissipate more heat and thus burn out quickly. Note that most regulators have built-in thermal shutdown so they will stop working before they fall apart.