Sound card problems

Grond

Sound card problems

Post by Grond »

I just did a fresh install of 98/2000. Win98 is working fine but in 2000, I get stuttering sound and random crashes and restarts. I have a network card in slot 2, sound card (SoundBlaster Live) in slot 3, modem in slot 5. I updated to RU and HPT 1.25 BIOS but have not installed the HPT drivers, I am not using the HPT controller. Device manager says everything is hunky dory and lists my sound card irq as 44. I tried installing the new drivers from creative which took several tries because it kept locking up. After updating I had no sound at all, Creative diagnostidcs said it could not detect my soundcard. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times but same result. I dont have any service packs yet but am working on getting SP2 later this week. Downloading it is not an option because I cant stay connected for 13 hours in a row.
Grond

Post by Grond »

I did find a post saying it was not uncommon for Live cards to have problems with SMP. Can anybody reccomend a good card for SMP. I do have an old SoundBlaster AWE ISA card I could use.
jaybird

Sound card problems

Post by jaybird »

First of all I would like to say it's not so much the card as it is in understanding how it works on the BP6. Number 1, Creative cards are IRQ hogs, do you know that some use more than one IRQ? My Platinum used IRQ10 and 5 until I disabled the DOS simulation(yah, it's still there!)
Also, they don't like to share IRQ's no matter what version of Windoz your running! Even with virtual IRQ's Creative still causes a problem if not understood.
With that said, They are good cards!(God I hated to say that! :( )
My system on my primary BP6 is:
WIN98SE/NT4.0 SP6 dual boot. Dual 366's, air cooled at 110Mhz fsb or 605Mhz, yes, air cooled, but they are lapped, silver paste, FEP32 heatsinks with 36cfm fans(747 LOUD!), A lapped BX chip set and a peltier cooler plus greenie and 486 fan. NOTE! I have taken 1, 366 to 124 fsb with peltier on the BX! I have 512 meg PC133 SDRAM, CAS2

AGP is a Matrox G400 32meg dual head card on IRQ9
PCI slot 1(shares IRQ with AGP) WinTV GO! capture card
PCI slot 2 is a SCSII card for my X6EL scanner on IRQ 5
PCI slot 3 is an Adaptec firewire card sharing IRQ11 with HPT366 drivers
PCI slot 4 is presently open(not for long!)
PCI slot 5 is a Creative Platinum with Live Drive(IRQ 10)
ISA 1 is open
ISA 2 is a 10/100 NIC on IRQ 3

My point is, you need to understand the board befor you condem it.

I also have a Pioneer 104S DVD drive, a Kenwood 52X CD-ROM drive, a Sony DVD-RAM drive and a Yamaha 4416S CD' burner drive as well as a 20 gig ATA66 7200 rpm primary hard drive and a 60 gig ATA66 7200 rpm hard drive.

I have used the "old" NJ bios and the "old" htp366 1.22 bios and 1.21 drivers for three years!

I am on-line 24/7 and have not had a hardware related crash in 1 1/2 years.

OBTW, I do VHS to DVD, DV to DVD and 35MM scanning to CD and DVD as well as VHS to VCD conversions using MovieXone, VirtualDUB, Tsunamie, DVDit!SE, and Adobe software.

OK, I have to say it could be faster but I love my BP6!

Next step is 2, 1100E PIII's this month!

regards,
jaybird