Cannot get computer to install Windows

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
vgoraz

Cannot get computer to install Windows

Post by vgoraz »

So i finally built my system and started it up. I have my IBM Deskstar connected to the white ports (i think thats the Highpoint controller) and the DVD drive conencted to the black ports (the regular ide ports for the motherboard i guess). On turning the compouter on, this happens.

VGA BIOS comes up as it should.
Award Bios starts, it detects just the dvd drive on primary IDE as master.
HighPoint Bios kicks in with an option to ctrl H and it detects and shows the hard drive primary master. I hit ctrl H and set its mode to pio 4 and selected it as the boot drive. I have the WinXP Pro CD in but i never get to its install at all as it stops right after the highpoint screen and after showing a pci device listing, it says NTLDR is missing and tells me to hit ctrl alt del to restart.

So yeah any questions on what i should do to install windows and get past this problem. Also yeah any other bios settings i should fiddle with as i havent really messed with the bios much other than setting the time and date
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

Ok I got WinXP to install and the system working almost how its suppose to. For some reason though it thinks i only have half the ram that i do (and yes my ram is only single sided) which i think might have to do with the error it gave me earlier. Also my ISA network card needs a driver and i do not know where to get one or find one for it
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

alright well the computer is slightly more stable and happier now (yes useing happy for lack of better word). I think the reason it only finds half the ram is i have high density ram and i think the motherboard only takes low density ram
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

What is the ISA LAN card brand/model# - should be a Web downlaod available.
vgoraz

Post by vgoraz »

i dont know actually, its one of the many random free things i got (the bp6 was another) and so well i ended up pulling my linksys network card out of my p3-500 system and using that instead. I have a new problem now of motherboard monitor not working as it lists all 0s for the temperatures. I dont know what exactly to do about it as well it seems to read the fan speeds and such correctly and well i guess its not to critical of a thing as i do not think i will use motherboard monitor all the time. My system seems like it does a decent job keeping things cool as it also sounds liek a plane taking off when all the fans and such are running full speed (plus the IBM drive is quite noisy also)
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Yes, all the noise - YIKES, I can't take it anymore!
I finally got one of my (3) BP6 PCs quieted down to a decent level by going to the Single CPU: P-III/1100E@1.21GHz, and putting fan speed controllers & 80mm Vantec Stealth fans in it. Also got a Low-noise power supply. Now I'm pulling all three hdisks & replacing with a single Seagate Baracuda-IV 80G, then coating the inside case with sound absorber sheet.