Having trouble upgrading to P3

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Instead of using the predefined settings, manually set the front side bus speed (FSB).
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

The multiplier cannot be changed, it's locked on the processor. The way you have is setup now the processor will be running at 850MHz.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Typo88,
Your P-III/850E/100MHz CPU comes factory set with an 8.5 mutiplier.
You put it in a Socket370 running at 100MHz & you get 8.5x100MHz.
The way you get more or less than the rated CPU speed is by changing the FSB speed. With good cooling, like the $16 EverCool copper/70mm HSF, you should easily be able to reach 110MHz FSB => 935Mhz
make sure the voltage is set for 1.75V (I think that's it) - or maybe bump it up to 1.80V if you overclock.
cybermat

Post by cybermat »

Don't worry about the recognized speed. I am using PIII 1100 and my bios is only able to report 1062 but once I get into Windows and use WCPUID, it will report the correct speed. As for your CPU unworkable error, I think the problem is you are not using the User define option in the BIOS. Just go in there, change to user define and change your FSB to 100MHz or whatever overclocked speed you want, make sure you disable speed error. This should eliminate the error message. Another thing that you should check is make sure your NEO is set at 100FSB and not 66FSB. I hope this helps.

Cheers
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

typo99 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I still have the situation where on the boot screen, it reports a 806Mhz processor and says the "cpu is unworkable or has changed" . It just doesn't recognize the 850/P3 speed. After I enter the CPU Softmenu, the predefined setting only goes to 600(100). There is no option for 850(100) as I would expect. So I never get past the initial boot screen as the cpu isn't recognized.
Typo,

You must set it to "User Defined". Once you do that, new options will become available right under the predefined settings. Now all you have to do is set the "FSB" to 100MHz.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

typo99 wrote:Yea, its my Ethernet driver. Its an old ISA card and its crapping out, the system boots just fine without the driver. Time to get a PCI one :-)

Thanks everyone for all your help here.
No problem.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

So glad to hear all has turned out well! I've sweated thru three of these P-III upgrades myself, and every one started out with that sick feeling in my stomach after finally get the HSF attached properly, power up, and no BIOS load screen!! Let us know how far you get with the OC past 850MHz.