interesting heatsink idea

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
kuun
Post-O-Matic

interesting heatsink idea

Post by kuun »

im wondering if anyone has ever tried to make (or find) one solid heatsink that fits on BOTH cpu's

now the theory behind this is... you can put more fans on it.. keep both CPU's at the same temp and also have more airflow for the heatsink (IE. air flowing under the gap between cpu's adding to the cooling

in my head im also thinking of making the center gap between cpu's with holes in them (so air can flow THROUGH the heatsink)

what you guys think?

Kuun
BCN

Post by BCN »

bad bad bad idea, man!... :D

Just if you think about it right you will see that will never get your two CPU's exactly at the same level measuring from the motherboard and exactly horizontal when compared to each other...

so in this way you will get less contact area and less heat transfer... :( not good :(

Besides I already read about it, but the man was putting one cold plate on both CPU's for being able to accomodate 3 peltier units for our beloved mendocinos... so he got just these results... you just do not get them really alligned...

well you may try and you tell us about your results.
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

who said anything about using plates?

flat plates are the WORST kind of heatsink you can ever use

im more thinking of a heatsink that looks kinda like 3 stock squared ones, one cut in half and soldered/welded to theother two with exactly enough distance to fit the cpu's as if you jsut put a bridge between 2 existing heatinks

Kuun
BCN

Post by BCN »

yeah, man!

I get your idea, but you did not get mine... :(

you have your bridge of cold plate or soldered heatsinks or one super large or custom made heatsink - whatever you want! but it still a metal... ;) and when it is one piece it is flat right... or at least you would like to lap your super heatsink, right? ;)

so you wont get you BOTH CPU's at the same level...

Here, I made some drawing (rough and a bit out of size, but you get the ides, right?) - just check the contact area between your CPUs and the heatsink. It will not be that drastic, but it will be more or less the same :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system