1.1Ghz Coppermine with NEO-S370 Adapter

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Have you monitored the voltage levels as the FSB speed goes into the unstable range & do they go out of spec?
You did say that you had already set the AGP to 2/3 & all other CMOS values were correct for to 100 FSB, right?
Your mention of the multiplier going to 6.5 has me puzzled, since it is locked in on the CPU - only changing the FSB clock speed & those related settings that affect stability should be your focus.
onelegdis

Post by onelegdis »

It amazes me just how unique each BP6 is. I had no trouble getting a single 1GHz P3/Neo working. It’s running 110 fsb at 1.75v = 1.1GHz. Thought I’d post my system specs to see if it helps.

BP6 Rev1.1 (RU Bios P3 microcode)
VTT EC10 Mod
Pentium 3 1000/256/100/1.75 SL5QV
Neo S370 (switches set to 100FSB)
Promise Ultra 100 TX2
Geforce2 GTS 32 Mb
Netgear FA311 Ethernet
Sound Blaster Live
Maxtor 20G
Seagate 30G
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

agw, what slot(s) have you tried your Promise card in - have you moved it to at least one alternate. I still think you have some non-BP6 item that's conflicted with other H/W , or just nat able to handle the speed.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

agw, I might guess bus noise interactions or something, but who knows.

So, are you saying that moving the Promise card resolved the problem with stability at 100Mhz? Or just let you go from 66 to 92FSB?
lookerr

Thanks for the infor guys

Post by lookerr »

I recently bought a celeron 1.1 GHz & Neo S370 for my bp6. I had some trouble getting it to run stable at first but after spending a couple of hours was able to run it smooth. The fixer was swapping CPU slots. I originally had it in CPU1 and it would lock up under any bios setting at various times. I even tried to run it bareboned just with a VGA card a stick of memory. It was only after I switched it to the CPU2 slot it would run.
I was running a celeron 400 @ to 563 in the CPU1 slot stable so I'm not sure how switching the CPU to the other slot made the difference.

My specs:
Win98
512mb cs2 PC133 Sdram
VisionTek Geforce4 4400 128mb
Asound sound card
Netgear FA310Tx Ethernet
Maxtor UDMA66 27Gb 7200rpm (running off the built in HPT366)
Also running a heavyduty Fan on CPU twice as big as the one that came with the S370.
Successfully overclocked to 1.210 GHz, running smooth at 110MHz FSB

I hope this helps someone
The Overclocker machine!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Wow, I'm not the only one to see this!
Last nite I completed my 3rd upgrade to P-III/1100E. The previous two systems were both dual 366 prior to this upgrade.

On both of them, the system would not boot initially at all - no screen & no sound.
In desperation I tried switching to the other 370 socket & just like that it boots right up. One came alive using CPU Socket1 (I started in the wrong one) & the other with Socket2.

Now, when I get to the third BP6 - it is already running a Cele2/1100MHz.
So I figure, no problems here - just use the same socket.
Well, the system refuses to boot again. I waste time checking eveything again & can't see what's the issue.

So again, switch to CPU Socket2 & system comes right up - go figure.

Now I'm starting to think that for most BP6 systems, one socket is getting significantly more stable power & the P-III/1000E turns into a very demanding & sensitive "test device" to indicate if a socket is either above or below some threshold of reliable voltage & current delivery capability.

If we could zero in on which of a BP6's dual CPUs is the cause of each crash, probably most CPU initiated BP6 system crashes are always being triggered by only one of the two CPUs. This is another good reason to go for the SINGLE P-III/1100E processor upgrade FIRST.

By testing if a Single P-III can run OK in both sockets, you learn whether or not upgrading the caps & regulators is likely to be mandatory for going Dual P-III later.
jaybird

PIII 1100E upgrade

Post by jaybird »

Well, here I am in never-never land! Just completed conversion to 1, 1100E PIII CPU on my BP6!

Haven't had much of a chance to document all that has happened yet, however, lots of interesting and strange things have happened so far!

As we speak ;), I am at 110Mhz with 1, 1100E in socket closest to RAM, NEO heatsink and fan, removed thermal tape and used Radio Shack thermal paste, VVT is at 1.47 to 1.50(thought I saw 1, 1.52 but not sure).

This is a rev 1.0, ver 0.40(think thats right!) board

Here is the basic configuration:

RU BIOS with PIII micro-code and HPPT 128 BIOS(more on this later, caused a real strange problem!)

System was 2, 366 Celeron's @ 572, NJ BIOS w/HPPT 122 BIOS, 121 drivers, ROCK SOLID 24/7 3 YEARS!

NOW,

1, PII, 1100E CPU @ 110 Mhz(so far, so good!)
1, Corsair PC133, 128meg stick
1, Micron, PC133, 128meg stick
1, generic, PC133, 256meg stick
1, 20 gig, WD ATA66 7200 rpm hdd(on ATA66, HPPT controller)
1, 60 gig, Maxtor ATA100 7200 rpm hdd(on ATA66, HPPT controller)
HPPT 128 BIOS with 125 drivers used on NT4.0 side
System is a dual boot 98SE/NT4.0 SP6 system
Matrox G400 MAX 32 meg dual HD vid card
SBLive Platinum w/live drive(original Platinum)
Cambridge 2500 5.1 surround sound system
Adaptec Firewire card
WIN TV GO! capture card
Adaptec SCSII card for Microtek X6EL scanner
Linksys 10/100 NIC
Pioneer 104S DVD reader
Sony DVD-RAM burner
Yamaha 4416S SCSII CD 'burner
Kenwood 52X True X multi-beam CD-ROM drive

Will keep you informed as system evolves!
jaybird

Help!

Post by jaybird »

Well, I got greedy, tried for 124mhz now no video!

Is it possible that I damaged my G400 by trying to go to 124?

Please advise!
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

How do you know it's just a video only problem?
Your BP6 boots with another vid card OK?
Have you tried the CPU in the other socket? I know it's a pain but try it.
Also, I would pull one of the 128MB RAM modules untin it boots. Others have had RAM-CARD interaction issues when all three slots aer filled.
jaybird

Problem solved!

Post by jaybird »

It seems that when I went to 124 my BX chip set got a little warm to say the least!(you should see blister on index finger :( ). I do have a fan on the "greenie" and thermal paste but I can see that that is not enough. Anyway, after I shut down and let it cool down I rebooted and all is ok(I dearly do love my G400 MAX dual head vid card even if it is "old").

I have a copy of an article that I found some time ago that shows how to install a TEC(Peltier) on the Northbridge chipset. More to the point, it tells where to get a TEC that fits a small chipset, how to seal it and how to cool it with no condensation problems. Bottom line was it allowed the individual to get to that "next step" in overclocking his board.

Looks like total costs were under $30, that I can afford.

On another note, rather strange, when I installed the RU BIOS with the 128 HPPT ATA "stuff", I lost NT4.0 SP5! I could not load the ATA drivers, I had to go back and use the 125 drivers for NT with the 128 BIOS before I could run ATA66 an NT with not glitches.

Also, with the old NJ BIOS, HPPT 122 BIOS and 121 drivers my VTT voltages were rock stable with 2 366's @ 572 (same config as before, see prevoius in this thread )1.50 to 1.52, I do not have this kind of stability with the RU BIOS, it runs 1.45 to 1.54!, looks like I'll have to make the mobo changes after all.

Does anyone have an older version of SISandra that works with NT4.0? My present free copy, SISandra 2002 works with 98SE but not with my NT side(dual-boot, 98SE/NT4.0 SP5).

The next step after I am sure that this is stable will be to goto dual PIII 1100E's(need to make regulator and cap. changes first!).

Regards,
jaybird
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

A few of us are on the verge of going dual P-III/1100E@1.21GHz it seems.
Let's trade tips on the which of the various mods options it takes to get there. I've already concluded the at least one of the 370 sockets on each of my (3) BP6 boards has sub-standard voltage regulation, so I've got some soldering work to do.
Blueneko
aka Gabumon

Post by Blueneko »

jaybird

I picked up an matrox G45+ Dual head 32mb ddr card from computer show, and you wouldnt even dare to have touched it knowing where it came from, and *cough* it works fine with so little I have invested into it.

Came from a ****Grab box**** and it was the best looking card amonst everything in it. No physical damage and no burn marks on teh vid card, I spent $2.50 and I lucked out! next to the matrox G45+ was a pci ati radeon 7200 pci 32mb sdr model, and i also picked that up for another $2.50, but the fan was kaboonz so its a card without a fan.

Invested $5.00 and recieved great test cards that work perfectly!
(too bad there werent any bp6 motherboards in hoards of boxes they had)
=D
jaybird

continuing problems

Post by jaybird »

I have now gone through a complete reload of both 98SE and NT4.0. Heat caused my system to become unstable and corrupted windowz files.

WORD OF WARNING! Make dam sure you have good heatsinks and fan(s) on the PIII's! The stock NEO's are marginal to say the least and if you don't get them sitting square on the chip you will see temp's OVER 160 deg. F!

You have been warned! :x
jaybird

PIII's and NEO S370's

Post by jaybird »

Well, I FINALLY have my system up and running, stable, 1 PIII on NEO S370 in socket closest to the RAM sticks, and THAT was part of my problem!

If you are using the stock NEO heatsinks(which, by the way, I don't advise), when mounted on the CPU in the socket closest to the RAM in slot one there is a possibility of the attachment clip touching and shorting out some of the lead pins going from the individule chips on the stick to the pcb board!

I found this out by accident. I was having heat related problems with my first try(1100 PIII on BP6) because the stock heatsink is marginal to say the least and it was hard for me to get it centerd on the CPU.

I took the clip off the NEO heatsink(longer than the stock clip on my FEP32's)and replaced the stock clip on my '32's, when I installed it I could see the adjustable end clip was contacting the RAM stick and shorting it out!

I then reinstalled the stock heatsink and found the same problem!

I reinstalled the modified FEP-32 and slid a doubled up piece of copy paper between the clip and the RAM stick and VOLA! no more short.

Also, my temps went from 115 deg F. under a full load to 85 deg F. and I can now run at 110 MHZ with no hangeups.

Now to test all phases of operations and software functions, I will keep all informed.

Regards,

jaybird
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

Jaybird,

In case you haven't noticed my posts, the EverCool 715 & 725 copper HSFs with 70mm fan are a great replacement for the Neo cheapie.
Much quieter than your FEP-32 & you can throttle them down a little too if you realy want silent without the CPU going much over 90F.
I have the 715 on all three of my BP6/P-III/1100E systems.
At $16 from www.nexfan.com they are a real deal too!
Used the Neo clip on one, bUT it was a little bit weak for the weight of the copper. Went with the paper clip extension on the other (2).
Have you tries to go for 124MHz yet?
Thinking of the dual 1100E@1.21GH possibility?
BCN

Post by BCN »

RRLedford wrote:Wow, I'm not the only one to see this!

If we could zero in on which of a BP6's dual CPUs is the cause of each crash, probably most CPU initiated BP6 system crashes are always being triggered by only one of the two CPUs. This is another good reason to go for the SINGLE P-III/1100E processor upgrade FIRST.

By testing if a Single P-III can run OK in both sockets, you learn whether or not upgrading the caps & regulators is likely to be mandatory for going Dual P-III later.

I think it is either way mandatory (well, advised) to change the caps and mosfets (I think they are called this way, right? :? ), cause the PIII's chew up way much more current eventhough on lower voltages, so I think we should need higher capacitance caps... :?

I am not good at electronics, so correct me if I am wrong, cause it is just my guess... :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
kuun
Post-O-Matic

Post by kuun »

i dont know if it's been mentioned yet or not

but does the neo adapters and the BP^ support SMP with the pIII's ?
BCN

Post by BCN »

kuun wrote:i dont know if it's been mentioned yet or not

but does the neo adapters and the BP^ support SMP with the pIII's ?
Oh yes it supports it! :D

You just need to cut one trace on Neo and solder one wire between two pind on mobo on each socket. I just cannot find the diagram. please, could someone send to me or post here the diagram which exactly pins do I need to connnect, cause i will need it soon for modding... :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system