Put a fan to your chipset...

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Wolfram

Put a fan to your chipset...

Post by Wolfram »

...I did it just a few minutes ago, just a spare crappy 8cm fan @7V. Guess what? Now my Celeri run @560 instead of 523 without problems (running eccp109sv- full cpu load).

By the way, it seems that the chipset on my BP6 has become hotter than before over the last months...
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

Heh, have pics?
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

I just got two EverCool 715 all-copper sinks with integrated 70mm silver fans. They must be the best deal going at $16 from nexfan.com. low-noise & still 30+ CFPM airflow.
I've read that the arctic silver is not good to use with aluminum sinks, unless they are thoroughly anodized (insulated from conductivity), or else some bad metal-to metal electro-chemical corrosion can take place.
I also got some P-III copper shims ($2 ea.) to go around the CPU die, filling the gap between the CPU board & surface of the heatsink. Besides minimizing the chance of getting the sink attached to the CPU tilted with a gap, I hope they also help to carry a little more heat away from the hot die zone when overclocking.
RRLedford
HPT IS EVIL!

Post by RRLedford »

The Zalman Chipset Heatsink is a good way to get serious cooling w/o a fan. It's fins/rods stick up almost 1.5" from the base giving good passive, silent coolong. Tabs for mounting pins are on (2) corners. The black anodized one is $6 & the gold anodized is $8. Quiet is good.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

The BlueOrb isn't a bad choice either. I'm running it as my NorthBridge cooler… Not only does it look cool; it's quite and does a good job!

I’ll try to post some pictures of it soon.
Wolfram

Post by Wolfram »

Here are two crappy webcam pics of my 8cm-on-chipset improvisation:

Image[/list]
BP6, RU BIOS, XP SP3, ACPI, 2x366@523(1,95V), Pentalpha HS + 1x 12cm fan @5V, 768MB, Powercolor Geforce 3, RTL8139D NIC, Terratec EWS64L, Samsung M40 80GB (2,5''), LiteOn CDRW
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

I like the GlobalWin LAC08. The pushpins line up with the holes on the BP6, and its nice and flat and looks good. I've got Arctic Silver underneath.

Before that, I had a Blue Orb, but it fell off. I lapped it and stuck it on my TNT2U. I would strongly recommend lapping the Blue Orb - mine was far from flat.

And before that, I had an old fan from a 486 screwed onto the greenie, but it started making a noise.

Active cooling on the northbridge is definitely a good idea, especially if you're overclocking.
jaybird

BX chipset cooling

Post by jaybird »

Has anyone tried a TEC on the BX chip set? I'v read that it does wonders with other chip sets when overclocking.

Regards,
jaybird
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

So nice and clean... And shiny! :shock: :D
Snugglebear

Post by Snugglebear »

The DareDevil wrote:So nice and clean... And shiny! :shock: :D
Dust kills. Every 4-6 months I go through all my machines with an aircan, damp rag, and Qtips. Keeps them in optimal condition.
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

atomoverride wrote:Thanks guys...once a year I take my pc apart and rebuild it. mostly upgrading.
Just noticed that you put the greenie (or, what used to be the greenie) on the South-Bridge. Not sure that it's needed, but couldn't hurt. Good job.
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

When I replaced the HSF on my TNT2U, I put the old heatsink (the fan had worn out) on the EMU10K chip of my SBLive!

Although cooling may not help with stability or overclocking, it does help chips last longer.

I'm not into this 3-year-upgrade-cycle that we're all supposed to follow. Just leave me with my ol'friend the Abit BP6.

Long live BP6! And all her chips!
Derek
Site Admin

Post by Derek »

I can’t wait to get our photo gallery up!! :mrgreen:
InactiveX
BeOS Forever

Post by InactiveX »

Cool! I'll have some piccies for it when you do!

My dial-up account is groaning with the strain of all these wonderful images...