P3 cpu speed?

Batch codes, RAM specs, BIOS settings, etc..
Cpl Rampage

P3 cpu speed?

Post by Cpl Rampage »

well i am new to these fourms, i got a bp6 from my neighbor about a week and a half ago, it had dual 366. i oced them to around 500, and it was great, but it was no enough, so i read about the PIII mod here, and decided to do it.

so i update the bois with this http://www.bp6.com/board/dload.php?acti ... file_id=52
i ordered the adapters from the powerleap website, modified them, by cutting the trace.

i won the 866mhz pIII s off of ebay, put them into the neo with it set for fsb 100

modded the mobo, with the wire on the back.

so i boot up and WOOOT it works!!!

i got it running fine, reconised the cpus, and posted.

but there is only one problem, the cpus will only go 650mhz.

i set the folowing settings in the cpu soft menu:

cpu name: intel pentium III MMX
cpu operating speed: user define
turbo frequency:disabled
external clock: 100mhz (1/3)
multiplier factor: x8
agpclk/cpuclk:2/3
speed error hold: disabled
cpu power supply: cpu default
1.70 volts

and ill save the info to bios, but it still posts at 650mhz, and when i go back in to bios, it still says it is set to run at 800mhz

Can some one help me?

all help is greatly apreciated
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

Welcome aboard.

If memory serves, those CPUs are designed for 866@133FSB with a locked multiplier of 6.5. If so then they will be 650@100FSB.

By what you said you have quite a bit of experience and already can figure what is limiting your system...
or you are extreamly talented to handle those mods so easily.
In either case you will find your answers somewhere on BP6.com

Tell us, are your P-IIIs rated for 100 or 133FSB?
There are *almost* no bad BP6s. There are mostly bad caps.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
ViaCPU laptop with Vista.(Works great after bumping ram to 2Gig)
P-III 850@100
Cpl Rampage

Post by Cpl Rampage »

yah my 866 are made to run at 133, but i am not sure my board is stable at that speed. if there is nothing i can do about the multiplier, then ill just have to increase the fsb to as fast as i can get it.

edit: my worklog of this project is here
[url]here:http://forums.pimprig.com/showthread.php?t=41732[/url]
BCN

Post by BCN »

you have to work hard to get it run at 133FSB - I would opt for peltier on the chipset, and maybe caps replaced. just try. They say it was done... :)
Dual C366@550MHz 1.90V :) (History)
yet single PIII-S 512Kb L2 cache at 1400MHz@700MHz
BP6 (not modded yet)
256MB PC133 C2
GF4Ti4200-8x
Maxtor 2x60Gb - all on promise ATA133
Lite-On LTR 40125S@48125W!!!
Plus P4 system
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

You may be able to run at 110 Mhz FSB. With heavy modificaions, you may be able to reach 124 Mhz FSB. Maybe.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Congrats on the PIII mod! If you want it permanent, I suggest epoxying the wires on the back of the sockets. Solder just isn't a strong mechanical connection.

If the board is used, it might do 110, but will need significant cooling. I tried pretty hard to boost mine past 100, and did not succeed. Boosting the CPU voltages seemed to help the best out of anything I tried. Hit Yoichiro's site and look at his overclocking sections for what he did. It will require better cooling all around (CPUs and Northbridge).

At this point, I'm pretty sure that the BX440's design and fab process gives the chips a gauranteed 100MHz capability, but above that it's the luck of the draw. To get an uncooperative BX to go faster, I think you'd probably have to cool the BX into a whole different temperature regime to significantly alter the properties of the transistors (oops, that spills the beans... Now you guys know what's been going on in my mind... :twisted:).

I highly suggest recapping the board. I've come to the conclusion that the VRM mods are not necessarily worth it. Have fun, and good luck.

Jeff
"If it ain't broke, mod it till it is"
They said... and now my BP6 needs new processors... D'oh
Slackware Linux v10.1
SnackMasterX

Post by SnackMasterX »

I have a pentium II 1 GHZ with 133 FSB, I don't quite understand everything going on here and was wondering if someone could possibly help me a bit with trying to get my processor to work in there.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

SnackMasterX wrote:I have a pentium II 1 GHZ with 133 FSB, I don't quite understand everything going on here and was wondering if someone could possibly help me a bit with trying to get my processor to work in there.
SnackMasterX,
Welcome aboard.
I don't believe I ever heard of a P-II that can handle 1Ghz nor 133FSB. Can you tell us where you got that information from?
Last edited by davd_bob on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
hyperspace
Board Admin

Post by hyperspace »

Welcome to BP6.Com, SnackMasterX !

450 Mhz core with a 100 Mhz FSB is the top end of the Pentium II series.

Click here for more information.
Quantum WormHole

lost in hypertime...
SnackMasterX

Post by SnackMasterX »

Sorry my keyboard must have been glitchy, I meant Pentium III (3) not 2.
Last edited by SnackMasterX on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaybird

PIII's & BP6

Post by jaybird »

Welcome aboard!

The best thing you can do to increase stability and possibly hit 124 is to use active cooling on the BX.

Until a couple of weeks ago I had been running a BP6 with 2, PIII 1100E's (1100/100/256/1.75V) @ 110 FSB for several years. Alas, my BP6 passed away 2 weeks ago :( , Long live the BP6!!!!

The only mods to my board were:

A GOOD 450W PS!
EC10 cap replacement
the voltage regulator replacement
NEO 370 mods (cut traces)
rewiring on the back side of the board
and MOST EMPORTANT, adding a mini-peltier to the BX! (do a search on eBay, shouldn't cost more than $4.99 + S&H USD!)

If you would like pics of my mods I will gladly post them here

Regards,

jaybird
SnackMasterX

Post by SnackMasterX »

Yes could I please see some pictures of the mods?
jaybird

Re: BP6 mod pics

Post by jaybird »

I'm at work right now (12 noon, CDT, USA), will try to post when I get home today. They are not the most clear but I will try to explain what I did and why.

Regards,

jaybird
SnackMasterX

Post by SnackMasterX »

Alright, I am going to be at work as well until 5 PM (EST, USA) and then I have a places to stop before I return home.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

SnackMasterX,
Are you putting a P-III on a BP6? If so are you going to "dual" cpus or just a single. There is much less work in making a "uni" cpu BP6.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
SnackMasterX

Post by SnackMasterX »

Well I was going to try with a single first and if it worked out I was going to dual but I decided against it, I just bought a card for my current server but I have a 700 and 600 MHz Celerons so I may try those in hopes of getting something to mess with, I need to learn linux and this may be the only system I have the option of at the moment but havent had luck with either of those Celerons in the past on that board. Since this is a Pentium III thread I will just find another one for Celeons, but if you can help out please PM me.
davd_bob
Confused

Post by davd_bob »

SnackMasterX wrote:Well I was going to try with a single first and if it worked out I was going to dual but I decided against it, I just bought a card for my current server but I have a 700 and 600 MHz Celerons so I may try those in hopes of getting something to mess with, I need to learn linux and this may be the only system I have the option of at the moment but havent had luck with either of those Celerons in the past on that board. Since this is a Pentium III thread I will just find another one for Celeons, but if you can help out please PM me.
700 and 600 MHz Celerons...will be FC-PGA chips and absolutly will NOT work in dual. If you are wanting to work in a dual environment, just stick with a couple of the older class celly 366MHz and overclock them to run at 550MHz. It will not require ANY modifications and will crank out great preformance. On the other hand, a 700MHz sitting on a PowerLeap Neo S-370 adaptor will probably overclock to about ONE GHz and other then the NEO adaptor it wont require any modifications. Your choice.

PMed ya too.

No BP6s remaining
Athlon 2800
Sempron 2000
P-III 850@100
jaybird

PIII BP6 mod pics

Post by jaybird »

Sorry it took so long but the "honey do" lists came first :wink:

It ain't pretty but it worked for 2 1/2 years!

There are a total of 8 pics (I believe you can view them through my personal bio?):

1. basic shot of the board with 1 heatsink, NEO & PIII installed
2. close-up, HS and "U" clip extender(made from a paper clip)to allow
for extra thickness of NEO 370. Here you can also see 386 fan
attached to BX, large blue cap and voltage regulator heatsink.
3. different view of large cap, HS and regulator(note green leads form
cap leading out and through hole in board to backside of BP6.

I think I should expain what I did here. I simply cut the 3 connections to the voltage regulator and left it soldered to the board rather than possibly damaging the board trying to remove it. I then soldered the center post of the new regulator to the exposed ground side of the regulator still on the board, ran the + side of the regulator to the cap and then ran the wire from the cap directly to the 5V pin on the back side of the board at the power supply connector. I did this because when I measured the input voltage at the old regulator it was not even 5V! I then ran the - side of the cap through the board and soldered it at the ground plane connection of the old regulator(you can see all of this except the actual soldering of the regulator in the #3 & 4 pic's). The large heatsink on the regulator is a generic unit I purchased at RadioShack, got the regulator and cap there also, total cost of RadioShack parts, less than $10.00 USD.

Pic 4 also shows the connections made on the back side of the ZIF sockets.

Pic's #5 & 6 show the CompUSA PIII heatsinks(top and bottom).

Pic's #7 & 8 show the top and bottom of the "Mini-Peltier" purchased on eBay(note, it was attached the same as the 386 fan with a wire tie and also note that I had to bend 2 of its' "wings" up to clear items on the MOBO, also, I inverted the fan as to blow down instead of up, this removed the chance of any condensate from forming on the BX chip-set).

Board shots do not show the Peltier installed, these were earlier shots with just the 386 fan installed.

End results:

2, PIII cpu's (1100E/100/256/1.75V) @ 110 FSB(1200mhz), never went above 127 deg F @ full load for 2 1/2 years!

BX never went above 112 deg F @ full load!

Questions anyone?