Interesting one ...

Peripherals, parts, data storage...
webtrakker

Interesting one ...

Post by webtrakker »

Here's one for everyone that some people might find interesting.

System is BP6 with dual 500's 2x256mb and 128mb ram.

I dont use the onboard ide at all apart from a cdrom on the IDE1 for booting. I was using a SIL 0680 ide card for ata133 and that was all fine.

I recently added in a VIA 6241 sata card for extra storage and it would not see the bios and windows xp/2003 went all wibbly with the MX4000 nvidia card where the mouse would jerk around.

So playing around with hardware a bit I took out the Nvidia and put in my old trusty Matrox G200 and all was good with that sata even seeing the bios screen (if it was in a slot closer to the isa slots) than the sil0680.

I had to create a raid set on the sata for it too boot, but apart from that it seems that Nvidia was the problem !

Anyone else had anything similar ?
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

It sounds like you were having some PCI rescource sharing issues. PCI slots 4-5 (closest to ISA) share the same bus master signal, slot 3 shares an IRQ with the HT366, and it seems AGP and PCI 1 or 2 (i forget which) share something as well.
I'm guessing you had your new SATA card in PCI 1 or 2 which would have shared rescources with your video card, causing the problems. Then when you changed to the matrox one, it doesn't use those resources and works fine.
I've had an experience like that, but with a network card.

If that's not the case then oh boy that weird!!
The collector of the old and unwanted.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

It sounds like you were having some PCI rescource sharing issues. PCI slots 4-5 (closest to ISA) share the same bus master signal, slot 3 shares an IRQ with the HT366, and it seems AGP and PCI 1 or 2 (i forget which) share something as well.
I'm guessing you had your new SATA card in PCI 1 or 2 which would have shared rescources with your video card, causing the problems. Then when you changed to the matrox one, it doesn't use those resources and works fine.
I've had an experience like that, but with a network card.

If that's not the case then oh boy that weird!!
The collector of the old and unwanted.
webtrakker

Post by webtrakker »

yeah I think it was resources at the end of the day, but the mx4000 was causing problems with the board even just with a clean install of xp with just the nic in it .... so I'm guessing the nvidia mx4000 I have is not going to work with the board.

Good thing is I've got the board running with the speed thingy in the bios enabled now and the agp at 1/1 and it seems fine.

windows 2003 installs great now and been able to ditch the il 680 card and just the sata card

running the fastest the bp6 ever has .... xp boots clean (with sp2) in about 40 seconds